Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanksgiving Approacheth

Yes, Thanksgiving is upon us, although
you'd never know it if you visited the stores
lately. You'd think Christmas was tomorrow.

I like to have Thanksgiving here.
It's better than Christmas - it's a one day
thing, no presents, great food, go home.
Perfect holiday.

Sheila, my awesome step-mother, asked if
I'd be brining the bird again this year.
No freakin' way.
I shall share with you the Great Brine Disaster of '06.
Yes, I decided to brine the bird.
I had an enormous zip lock bag which came with the brining herbs.
I put tons of liquid in the bag.
All looked good.
I put the briny bird on the bottom shelf of the fridge.
I didn't like the way it looked, so I tried to move it a bit.
In order to get a better grasp, I sat down on the floor in front of the bird.
I pushed the enormous bag full of bird and liquid.
Apparently the enormous bag didn't like that I pushed it.
I OPENED and all that brine had to go somewhere.
That somewhere was ALL OVER ME!
There will be no more brining in this house I tell ya!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

try SMOKIN' a turkey!! holy crap they are so awesome! - we do that now every year!
YUM! and the best part is - its the husbands job to man the smoker.

Unknown said...

try SMOKIN' a turkey!! holy crap they are so awesome! - we do that now every year!
YUM! and the best part is - its the husbands job to man the smoker.

Unknown said...

ok - that's weird

b said...

I love hosting Thanksgiving, but I am never in charge of the turkey. Way too big of a responsibility!

the real ~Roxann~ said...

ICK!!! I hate raw meat and raw meat juice with herbs or brine or whatever the hell that is! GROSS!!!!

Sorry that happened.

It looks like I'll be cooking T-giving for my little family at home.... Hubs has ratings at the tv station, so we won't be going anywhere!!

Cris said...

Oh wow! After all of that, I don't blame ya!

Kerry McKibbins said...

Jeez Jodi - ok, I'll smoke the bird, just get off my back!

Curly Glamour Girlie said...

Oh man. I can only imagine the aftermath of such a brining incident. It's akin to when a pickle train derailed right by Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls.

ALF said...

I also love Thanksgiving! I am in charge of cooking a turkey AND a ham this year. I have to make both because I have a crazy cousin who's coming for dinner and insists that she is allergic to turkey (she isn't - she just wants attentiong). So, wish we luck.

FlipFlop Mom said...

OH you poor thing!!!! We deep fried last year.. it was pretty yummy!!!!!!! This year.. we're just baking.. but "brining" is the big thing... Thanks to Alton Brown.. ( whom I adore..)....

And I agree.. Christmas is coming to fast for my liking!!! and the stores are pushing it..

Jill said...

I don't know what Brine is, but it sounds SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm glad you got off dead bird duty this year!