According to my son, I'm turning into one of "THEM".
"THEM" being one of the school parents.
Well, ok, yes, I AM a school parent, but
the term "THEM" has a different meaning.
It all started when I refused to by V8 Splash.
Reason - high fructose corn syrup.
Ok, who's behind me here...come on..stand up and be counted!
Dylan wanted the SPLASH but I opted for Juicy Juice (100% REAL juice with REAL sugar)
He was so annoyed.
"Grandma lets me drink SPLASH."
Yeah, well Grandma also lets you juggle knives, play with fire,
and eat mint jelly and peanut butter sandwiches.
Ok, the first two aren't true but the mint jelly thing.........
So, he let that go and drank the Juicy Juice all the while
shooting me dirty looks.
I also started offering him Nature's Promise Veggie Chips, and
God forgive me....apples, for snacks.
He begrudgingly accepted these offerings, often walking away shaking his head.
Well, the organic manure hit the fan when I brought home.....
ALL NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!
I gave Dylan a celery stick to dip in to try.
"Why is it all...watery?"
"That's the peanut oil. You have to stir it first."
"Gross. You don't have to stir Skippy."
"Just try it."
You'd have thought I'd poisoned the kid.
Gagging ensued, followed by spitting.
"That's gross!"
"How can it be gross? It's peanuts and salt. No chemicals, no sugar. All natural."
"I like chemicals and I LOVE sugar."
I pulled out the Skippy jar which had maybe a teaspoon of gunk left in it and asked
Dylan to compare the ingredients with my new purchase.
Instead, he managed to climb into the jar and lick the sides with joyous abandon.
When he finally crawled out, he had the look of a crack-head who'd just gotten a fix.
He walked towards me, staring me down and said...
"You're turning into one of THEM."
"Who?"
"THEM! The parents at our new school. The ORGANIC people."
He's right. I guess some of "their" practices are rubbing off on me.
Whoops, I just dropped my Snicker's bar, hang on a sec........
23 comments:
My mother had a best friend who in the late 1970's lived in California and became one of "THEM" Of course it rubbed off on my mother and we suffered. Same thing, that natural peanut butter, whole wheat germ sprinkled on everything, all natural cereals with no preservatives etc etc etc. All the food sucked. Well..her friend died in her 50's of cancer...Man plans god laughs. MY brother and sister in law, both pediaticians (well respected too) say that the key is moderation and let kids be kids. One juice box a day will do no harm, an occassional skippy peanut butter sandwich will do no harm. I am standing up for Dylan. !!!!
bwahahahahaha - that is too funny! Well - I'm one of "them" too. LOL. Well...not always....but most of the time - ooopps - I dropped my Nutella bread - bahahahhahah
OMGoodness! YOU crack me up! Written SO VERY well as usual!
Last night on the way to dance I was throwing on a tiny bit of makeup and my youngest said, "mom, we are only going to dance!" and my oldest said, "let her do it, I don't want her to be like everyone else's mom!" LOL cracked me up! Granted I had on sweats like all the other moms but she was happy that I had on a tad of makeup!
I hadf bought the naturual peanut butter when all the rest of the peanut butter was recalled,because that was all that was left. My 4 year old, who loves peanut butter and jelly wasnt to happy about it. He resorted to just eating jelly sandwiches!!!
BTW you crack me up!!!
R.O.F.L.! My kids are eating chicken breast with 'honey nut' toasted wheat germ as the topping *as I type this*...! They're 2 and 3 though...so far they think everyone eats like this!! And they had NO idea there was no meat in the meatballs a couple of nights ago.....muahahaha! Welcome to the club ;)
OH yeah...and we have the best pb right now!! It had sugar in it, but it's made with flaxseed also - and wow it's just good. (and $$..somehow that seems to be the way it goes). Brand name, let me find it...Naturally More, includes peanuts plus wheat germ, cane sugar, flaxseed and flaxseed oil, plus honey and egg whites (not for the vegan in you). Neat treat...we do usually get the 'nothing but peanuts' varieties.
HA HA HA .. I LOVE YOU!!!!! I prefer juicy juicy over that v8splash anyday!!! YUMMMM!!! Too cute.. Your son is VERY lucky to have "one of THEM" parents!!!!
Unfortunately... I don't pay close enough attention...Wish I desired that more!! Ü But I don't feed my kids uncrustables... tee hee.. ducking now...
YOU ARE POISONING YOUR CHILD!!! WHAT A TERRIBLE PARENT!!! Just joking.......he'll live.....I think some all nautral things taste better...and they sure are healthier!!
~Mere
LOL, you crack me up. :P
Man....I go off and on. My kids were cool with it when they were younger, and if I would have always been consistent I'd have no trouble now.
Trouble is, I can't stay consistent, because I love sugar too. So, so bad.
Just read an article about how sugar has now overtaken fat in the obesity problem. Mainly because of the crap like High Fructose corn syrup.
I say, Good for you!
you are KILLING me!!!! that is the funniest thing i've read in quite a while....
gotta go...my trader joe's brownies are calling me...:)
Too funny. They're all crack heads; they're born that way.
I practically invented health food stores, and my children thought that Tiger Milk cookies were a treat until they got corrupted by Oreos in pre-school.
Whenever we get together for State Occasions, they all tease me about the healthy fare they had to eat. They even embellish their recollections for each other's entertainment. My youngest insists that I gave her goat's milk, which was never true. If I dispute their "facts," they suggest that I'm senile.
Stick to your guns, Kerry. One way or another, you're going to pay for your choices. I'm sure that high fructose corn syrup is addictive. The main stream companies know exactly what they're doing, but they don't care about our kids. They care about sales.
I've been stalking your blog for a while, but I had to post after this one.....
THAT WAS FUNNY!!! I laughed OUT LOUD (thanks for making me wake up my baby girl) when you "dropped" the Snickers bar!!!!!
I have not completely crossed the fence to organic...but I have enjoyed certain organic products, specifically Peanut Butter. I always want to buy that TOFU stuff, but I would have NO IDEA what to do with it!
Thanks for making me laugh!!
Roxann
http://therealroxann.blogspot.com
Haha, what a terrible mom you are not letting your child trash his body in ignorant fashion. This is the sort of thing he'll be talking about in therapy in about 20 years.
I've always wanted to try natural PB. I just might pick some up.
Thanks for the apple reminder, I just reached for mine.
My gosh, love you way of writing, sitting here shaking at my computer, can't stop laughing. It's sooooo recognizable! I finally did the tag :)
Great post! Sadly, by 4 year old twins are already starting to question stuff like that when we feed them, it all started with the diet coke I shared with them a year ago. When my wife wonders about their new need for junk food, I just shrug...she'll find out eventually ;-)
that is so funny but true.lol
I'm sure over time he will become accustomed to the new peanut butter and skippy will taste yucky to him.
I just got a hankering for some natural peanut butter and I don't even eat the stuff.
Great post kerry.:)
thanks for visiting my blog.
tc
my nieces go to a pre school and they just sent notes home that they can not bring ANY foods that are not pre-packaged.
~looks around~
Um so If I bring in veggies and fruit they have to be in a deli container?
*yep*
WOW
Talk about trying to perpetuate the fat getting fatter!
As a teacher I am on lunch duty and could not nor would I eat the crap that is served. PB and J is as close to it as I will get. High corn syrup and fructose...BAD stuff.
So I guess I am one of THEM too!
I swear to "you know who" that you are the funniest person on earth. I swear you should write a monthly column for the newspaper. OH WAIT!!! no you can write for me!!!!! You rock girl and I love to read your blog... by the way....
I HATE PEANUT BUTTER ... all of it ... reg and organic! hee hee hee
LOL That is a great story!
Oh I think we all become one of "them" sometime in our life.
My three year old loves eating all natural and healthy. She lives on fruits, veggies and whole wheat goodness. My six year old is the corn syrup crack addict, and I couldn't even get him to try the all natural peanut butter out of the jar. I make him his PB&J on the sly and hide the all natural jar behind the Jif. He loves it and doesn't have a clue.
Keep fighting the fight! LOL
good for you! it's really hard to keep explaining why we don't want them to eat that stuff all the time. My daughter (3)has an intolerance to cow dairy, so she can see why we have limits on cheese, yogurt, ice cream etc the rest is harder to explain.
I'm dreading the day she says "But So and So's mum lets them have X!" and I find myself usign the age old response "well, I'm not So and So's mummy, I'm yours!"
Post a Comment